What is IIT JAM?
The IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) is an entrance examination conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) for admission to various postgraduate programs in science, including M.Sc., Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Bachelor’s-Master’s Dual Degree programs. The exam aims to assess a candidate’s understanding of science and provide admission to prestigious institutions for further academic pursuits.
IIT JAM is held annually, typically in February, and covers subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Geology, Biological Sciences, and Mathematical Statistics. The exam pattern includes multiple-choice questions (MCQs), multiple-select questions (MSQs), and numerical answer type (NAT) questions.
IIT JAM-Course Highlights
Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.
Various Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
Admission to postgraduate programs in Science and Technology
Computer-Based Test (CBT)
Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Geology, Biological Sciences, Mathematical Statistics
Multiple-choice questions (MCQs), Multiple-select questions (MSQs), Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline
Typically held in February
Generally opens in September and closes in October
Admit Card Release
Usually available in January
For one admission season
Decentralized, conducted by individual institutes
IIT JAM-Eligibility and Admission
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized university or institute.
- The qualifying degree should have been obtained with the required minimum marks as specified by the participating institutes.
Minimum Marks Requirement:
- The minimum marks required in the qualifying degree may vary for different categories (General/OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PwD).
- There is no specific age limit for the IIT JAM exam.
- Indian nationals, as well as foreign nationals, are eligible to apply.
Final Year Students:
- Candidates who are in the final year of their qualifying degree are also eligible to apply, provided they complete their degree requirements by the specified dates.
IIT JAM Admission Process:
- Interested candidates need to fill out the online application form during the specified registration period.
- Admit cards are released for registered candidates, containing exam details and venue.
- IIT JAM is a computer-based test consisting of multiple-choice questions (MCQs), multiple-select questions (MSQs), and numerical answer type (NAT) questions.
Declaration of Results:
- Results are typically declared in March, and candidates can check their scores and ranks.
- Candidates need to apply separately to the institutes where they wish to seek admission, using their IIT JAM scores.
Counseling and Admission:
- Each institute conducts its own counseling process, including interviews or additional tests if required.
- Seats are allotted based on merit, and candidates need to confirm their admission by paying the required fees.
- Some institutes may have a waitlist, and candidates on the waitlist might be offered admission if seats become available.
IIT JAM-Registration Process
- Visit the Official Website: Go to the official website of IIT JAM. The website address may change, so ensure you are on the correct site.
- Create an Account: You usually need to create a user account on the website. This involves providing your basic details and creating a username and password.
- Login: After creating an account, log in to your account using the credentials you just created.
- Fill in the Application Form: Complete the application form with accurate personal and academic details. Be sure to double-check the information before submitting.
- Upload Documents: You may be required to upload scanned copies of your photograph, signature, and other relevant documents as per the specified format and size.
- Application Fee Payment: Pay the application fee through the available payment modes. The fee amount can vary, so check the official notification for the correct details.
- Print Confirmation Page: After successful submission of the application form and payment of the fee, make sure to print the confirmation page for your records.
- Admit Card Download: Once the application process is complete, the admit cards are generally released a few weeks before the exam. You need to download and print your admit card from the official website.
IIT JAM-Documents List
- Scanned Photograph: A recent passport-sized color photograph with clear lenses (without glasses) is usually required. The photograph should be in JPEG format and within the specified dimensions and file size.
- Scanned Signature: A scanned copy of your signature is typically required. Ensure that your signature is done on a white paper with a black ink pen, and the scanned image is in JPEG format.
- Valid Photo ID: You might be required to provide details of a valid photo ID, such as Aadhar card, Passport, Voter ID, or College ID. The details provided during registration should match the details on the ID.
- Category Certificate (if applicable): If you belong to a reserved category (SC/ST/OBC-NCL), you may need to upload a scanned copy of the category certificate. The certificate should be in the format specified by the organizing institute.
- PwD Certificate (if applicable): If you are a person with a disability (PwD), you may need to upload a scanned copy of the PwD certificate issued by a competent authority.
- Qualifying Degree Certificate/Mark Sheet: Details of your qualifying degree, such as Bachelor’s degree, need to be provided. You might need to upload scanned copies of the degree certificate and mark sheet.
- Proof of Date of Birth: A valid document as proof of your date of birth, such as a birth certificate or class 10th certificate, may be required.
IIT JAM-Exam Pattern
- Number of Papers: IIT JAM is conducted for multiple papers, and candidates can choose to appear for one or more papers based on their academic background and interest. The papers include Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics.
- Types of Questions: The exam generally consists of three types of questions – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions): Each MCQ has four answer options, and candidates have to choose the correct one.
- MSQ (Multiple Select Questions): Each MSQ has multiple correct answers, and candidates need to select all the correct options.
- NAT (Numerical Answer Type): For NAT questions, candidates need to enter the numerical answer using the virtual numeric keypad.
- Duration: The exam duration is typically three hours.
- Marking Scheme: The marking scheme may vary for different papers. For MCQ and MSQ, there may be negative marking for incorrect answers. For NAT questions, there is no negative marking.
- Section-wise Distribution: The question paper is divided into sections corresponding to the subjects. The distribution of questions across these sections varies based on the specific paper.
General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, etc.
Genetics, Physiology, Ecology, Evolution, Mathematical Sciences
Biology (10+2 level), Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics
Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Basics of Biotechnology
Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry
Atomic and Molecular Structure, Thermodynamics, Organic Synthesis
The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, etc.
Paleontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology
Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus
Group Theory, Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations
Sequences and Series, Probability, Statistical Inference, etc.
Random Variables, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses
Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter
Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics
IIT JAM-Exam Pattern
Number of Papers:
- IIT JAM is conducted for multiple papers, and candidates can choose to appear for one or more papers based on their academic background and interest.
- The papers include Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics.
Types of Questions:
- The exam comprises three types of questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions): Each MCQ has four answer options, and candidates must select the correct one.
- MSQ (Multiple Select Questions): Each MSQ has multiple correct answers, and candidates need to choose all the correct options.
- NAT (Numerical Answer Type): For NAT questions, candidates need to enter the numerical answer using a virtual numeric keypad.
- The exam duration is typically three hours.
- The marking scheme may vary for different papers.
For MCQ and MSQ, there is often negative marking for incorrect answers. For NAT questions, there is no negative marking.
- The question paper is divided into sections corresponding to the subjects. The distribution of questions across these sections varies based on the specific paper.
Medium of Examination:
- The exam is conducted in English only.
- The total marks for the examination may vary based on the paper. The details are typically mentioned in the information brochure.
IIT JAM-Application Fee
Fee Amount (In INR)
IIT JAM-Exam Date
IIT JAM Exam Day
Session & Time
JAM Test Papers
9.30 AM to 12.30 PM
Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG) and Mathematics (MA)
2.30 PM to 5.30 PM
Economics (EN), Biotechnology (BT), Physics (PH) and Mathematical Statistics (MS)
Online Application Form for Admission (JOAPS):
- After the declaration of results, qualified candidates need to fill an online application form for admission on the JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) portal.
Choice Filling and Admission Form Submission:
- Candidates are required to fill in their preferences for programs and institutes based on their JAM score.
- The admission form needs to be submitted along with the choices of programs and institutes.
Declaration of First Admission List:
- The first admission list is released based on the choices filled by candidates, and it indicates the provisional admission status.
Payment of Seat Booking Fee:
- Candidates whose names appear in the first admission list need to pay the seat booking fee to accept the provisional admission.
Verification of Documents:
- Shortlisted candidates are required to appear for document verification at the respective IITs.
Payment of Admission Fee:
- After document verification, candidates need to pay the admission fee to secure their admission.
Issue of Admission Letter:
- After successful payment, candidates receive the admission letter indicating the confirmation of their admission.
Second Admission List (if required):
- In case seats remain vacant, a second admission list may be released, and the process is repeated.
IIT JAM-Cut Off 2023
IIT JAM-Top Colleges